bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - How Authentic do you want it?
How Authentic do you want it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 08:37    Post subject: How Authentic do you want it? Reply with quote

Has the NME always been this shit or did I just grow up?

My Magpie Eyes blames The Boo's for going top ten........

Anyway does it matter whether Avril is a faker or not, whether she writes her own material or was born in a test tube, surely all that should matter is that she whines the crappiest most mind boggingly shit awful lyrics over the top of the wankest tunes ever?

Kinkster
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 09:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since i appear to be the oldest user here (41last week, wahey!) i'll take it upon myself to answer that one...

i was a very regular reader of the NME back in the early to late 80s, when there were 3 weekly music newspapers: Sounds which leaned towards rock/metal/punk (in other words, noise), Melody Maker, which i think was the first to use colour and leaned towards Pop/charts (in otherwords more mainstream and lightweight) and the NME, which at the time covered a broad range or music though essentially with the same character is has today. it was always the most annoying of the three because it was the most opinionated, but that was what readers liked about it, its ability to start an argument.

my personal feeling is that there are several problems with the NME now - fistly i think that the range of music is far too narrow and definitely cliquey. secondly, far too many pictures and not enough meaty writing. thirdly, the quality of the writing isn't as good and it's too gossipy. news, current affairs and politics used to be a small but important part of the NME and they get little coverage now.

getting back to what you said about Avril and whether she's authentic enough, that may be because she doesn't fit the narrow range of music that the NME appears to favour. when i first saaw her on tv i thought she was a paleAlanis imitation so in that sense she isn't perhaps original enough, or maybe she appears to be too manufactured -hey, what we need it a new Alanis but easier to listen to! which probably makes her too shallow for some tastes too?

i'm going to stop there cos this message is getting too long, but you've touched on a load of thoughts that bother me about the current pop scene - not the least the lack of any emotional depth to most of what is successful in chart terms. coldplay for instance, so huge that the festivals they're playing are selling out at an astonishing rate, he's got a good voice and some of the musical arrangements are impressive, but the album has no real emotional depth to it...

'gets off soapbox'
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

though they have got the Radiohead review pretty much spot on today.....
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for a change the person editing the letters page made reasonable, fair comments instead of the usual sarky piss taking.

does anyone think the live reviews section should be bigger?
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason people go on about Avril's authenticity is because she constantly claims to be so real etc etc...she brought it on.

Amor y Paz
Setareh
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Avril Lavigne is really ugly and sulky looking. Wasn't she voted sexiest person of the year or something in NME?

As for authenticity, what does that mean exactly? I think Martin made a very good point in some earlier thread about the White Stripes blowing on about how they use knackered old equipment and don't use computers. Why they think that informing the listeners of that on the back of their album is going to have any impact on how their music is perceived beats me.

Maybe it's just more of this misguided realness

In Science and Engineering there is an acronym BATNEEC

Best Available Technology Not Exceeding Excessive Cost..could easily be applied to music making or anything else.

Sexiest person of the year is definetely Lana Lang in Smallville.....er thats a bit irrelevent perhaps. To follow on who do the message boarders think is sexy?

[/img]
che

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, given the option, i'd fuck avril to high heaven and back cause i fancy her.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in this context Ciaran, by authentic we mean an artist that isn't a mere product, an artist who him/herself has thoughts, ideas, whatever. It's not that important but when Avril goes around claiming to be so real and pointing out various others as fake then she has that coming.

NME and Melody Maker voters are slightly blind and have a disorted perception of the word sexy, as if the Avril Lavigne/Chris Martin thing wasn't bad enough, one year MM voters got Kelly Phonics as third sexiest male or something like that...weird.

I can't think of anyone sexy right now. Beautiful however I can, Simone Inzaghi, oh dear my body's shivering I have to quit...night all...

Amoré é Pace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avril Lavigne seems to be a real sore point for a lot of people. If you ask me she's just another nondescript ephemeral bubble in the froth of modern pop music. She is no more real or fake than Britney or Richey Edwards. When it comes to the crunch they are all performing artists and in a sense are real, however the quality of their creative product may differ widely.

A struggling boyband singing together in their garage woulds be reffered to as commercial music by many people, while the heavily marketed, currently no.1 band the white stripes are commonly reffered to as uncommercial, yet in the eyes of most marketing men are as commercial and saleable a product around right now.

Terms like "real" and "authentic" are pretty meaningless when it comes to music these days, I think you just gotta know what you like and listen to it.
ciaran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr...that last post was me by the way
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The White Stripes are totally commercial, just look at the whole gimmick thing, no one dressed like that just because and no one pretends to be brother and sister just because. THey're odd. But cute.

Amor y Paz
ciaran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they really were brother and sister
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a thing for the singer from Drugstore, mainly because she has such a sultry voice. their musik is ok as well....

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

NME has been rank for months now - think thats 'cos its got nowt to read. Everything is bite size and my guess its 'cos most things are going that way now (peoples shorter attention spans, internet sites which have shorter reviews than mags setting a trend for mags to follow suit etc) and also 'cos its now found its market. Don't think it could afford to go the way of MM so it had to pander a little bit. That said some of its writing is shocking now, so i'm diving into the PUNK and MADCHESTER NME Originals Mags for reminders of quality music journalism......
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 08:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh mirrors my point quite well

The White Stripes as an image maker are easily as commercial as Ms Latrine, though obviously avril is targeting a more modern Teenage audience...

The point really is that it just doesn't fickin matter does it? Good music, bad music, it should all be judged on merit surely and not who's got the biggest/smallest/oldest/youngest/clearest/greasiest/whitest/shortest/tightest/longest/tits/teeth/skirts/hair/guitar/skin

I'll shut up before I start making sense.....

Kinkster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2