bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - beatles!
beatles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 00:55    Post subject: beatles! Reply with quote

Has anyone of you bought some of the new remastered albums?
I haven't heard any of the remastered versions yet, but I'm quite tempted to buy the stereo boxset... well, if only I could afford it Mad

Is it really worth it though if I've already got most of the albums on cd? I can usually hear no difference between remastered and "normal" versions anyway... Razz and is the mono boxset just a cunning plan to milk more money off the most dedicated fans, or can someone think of a good reason to buy it?

So, do the remastered versions sound any different, and more importantly, do they sound better? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this...
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 07:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the remastered version of Revolver and can't tell the difference between that and the crappy MP3 version I already had. Might be different for the earlier albums I suppose and I was also rubbish at the Pepsi Challenge so I'm not a great judge of this sort of thing.
Bev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:39    Post subject: Re: beatles! Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
and is the mono boxset just a cunning plan to milk more money off the most dedicated fans

Bingo.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a fan of the beatles tbh but i've heard that the box set cost £15-£20 to manufacture so its one heck of a mark up. however if yer a massive fan of them you get some nicely packaged cd's and dvd material so i guess you'd be happy with it for those reasons.

anyhoo they'll all be out of copyright over the next few years (unless the law does get changed) so maybe other people will release their own re-mastered versions at a fraction of the price.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbingo.

The mono records are how they were made and how they sound best. the stereo versions are inferior and were created as an afterthought.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttl

the law will get changed i reckon. they tend to get what they want.
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umbongo. This documentary about copyright laws is worth watching if you've got a spare hour or so:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/rip_a_remix_manifesto_1/

It shows how Disney changed the law in the US so they get to keep the copyright for their characters forever. Presumably record companies will lobby for the same thing so they can keep selling me Beatles records every five years.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's disgusting. It should be every two.
Hew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 01:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a few of the new ones as i didn't already have them on CD. The differences are not really that noticeable from what I can hear, but people have started telling me that my hearing is getting a bit shit.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think they'll get the law changed. i've some sympathy given that if i'd written something that at a point in time could be used by anyone for their own gain it would get on me tits but i also think that the history of music is about evolving n borrowing n songs being passed on from person to person and by that nature eventually becoming public "owned" art - so, in summary, i'm sitting on the fence on this one!

the last beatles album i bought - heck the only one i've bought - was sgt peppers on cassette from woolworths in 1982, i didn't buy much then so i played it to death in a bid to like it + i just never did. learnt me a good lesson not to trust music critics though.

Quote:
Umbongo.
Quote:

argyle trialled a player called unbongo (or something pretty much the same!) once, he actually came from the congo, to this day i remain gutted he failed the trial 'cos we were all primed to sing his name...
Hew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 04:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should probably be in the football thread but while we're on the subject of argyle I must ask how is shane lowry looking at the back? He's meant to be a bit of a promising player by all accounts but i've never seen him play for Villa.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to have made a solid start and he's played in our only 2 wins of the season - i haven't seen him yet but i'll let yer know what i think when i have. hopefully one of the other argyle fans out there may be able to give a proper verdict...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1