bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Fourth Time Around...
Fourth Time Around...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 20:14    Post subject: Fourth Time Around... Reply with quote

1. bought Giant Steps first on tape because I didn't have a CD player. I'd read the end of year review in Select and thought it sounded good...

2. Got it on CD eventually.

3. Got it on CD again as some git had 'borrowed' it and never returned it.

4. Got, today, the deluxe edtion, with loads of yummy b-sides.
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 06:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must get around to ordering it...

I'm a bit like you, bought countless times as presents, got one signed CD one unsigned..twice on Vinyl (wore first one out)

I will go order deluxe edition now...
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard some of the b-sides for years, only having them on vinyl which I can't play anymore... Some of them are so good on re-hearing: Touchdown Jesus! Crow Eye! Boo Forever! Wallpaper! Almost Nearly There!

Great, great songs.
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna be fourth time around for me as well.

1) Tape copy borrowed from the library and copied to a blank audio cassette using early 90s P2P technology.

2) Second hand CD copy bought from Ebay

3) Lovely chunky vinyl copy, again from Ebay, which still hangs proudly on my wall.

Therefore I've had three copies of it and have handed over zero pounds to the Boo Radleys. No wonder they split up.

Due to a lack of inspiration and enforced frugality I've not bought much music at all this year and the albums I've liked have been by artists I've loved in the past (LCD Soundsystem, Gorillaz....The Beatles). I am turning in MOJO man and I really need to make more of an effort.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmph, I still haven't ordered either of the new deluxe editions...
Do the remastered versions sound any better or different than the originals?

I've bought Giant Steps "only" twice... and both were second hand copies. I've got all the singles and b-sides from that era (I think) and most of them were probably bought on eBay. So I really should order that deluxe edition as well Razz
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have one copy of each in my local HMV. £20 each? F**k off!

K x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're worth it Wink

You could also order them online and save quite a bit.
Melz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried my local HMV and had no luck. I'll no doubt end up ordering online too, despite already having 99% of the tracks. Ah, the joys of being a devoted fan. Very Happy
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% ? Which one(s) you haven't got?
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I heard Giant Steps was copy of the album on tape, recorded from my Dad's friend's CD - but during recording the CD had skipped so at the end of 'Take the Time Around' the last 2 seconds or so repeated - so 'Take your time' was sung twice... and until I got my own copy on CD I always thought that was how the song actually went. It sounded pretty good!
Mark.x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reviews of the new deluxe editions, for us sentimental old fools.

http://www.webcutsmusic.com/reviews/album-reviews/2010/the-boo-radleys-giant-steps-wake-up/
Melz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second time around for both albums for me. Third copy of 'Leaves and Sand', thanks to the awesome compilation where I first heard of the Boo Radleys: http://vgmdb.net/album/1515

Great to listen to both albums again together with all the lovely extras. Though I was a bit confused by the 'Find The Answer Within' b-sides all being referred to as "Clean Version". Didn't know there were ever any un-clean versions!

Interesting read in the booklets too, despite both albums having an identical story in their first two pages. I did think the write-up on 'Wake Up!' was a bit negative though. Even though I love 'Giant Steps' and agree with every positive word written about it in its respective booklet, I for one could still wax lyrical about 'Wake Up!'. It just seemed like the tone was a bit "The album you've just bought is a bit shit. Actually no it's alright, but you really could be spending your time listening to Giant Steps instead."

Thinking about it, that quote should, by law, be written in the sleevenotes of pretty much every album that's been released so far this year. Laughing
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 07:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

alas, age and responsibility (meaning, lack of funds) mean I can't buy any of these versions. Shame. I'll keep waiting for the month where I have a spare 50 quid and can buy the whole catalogue again, but I'm betting that month is a fantasy that will never happen in my remaining lifetime.

Oh okay i might get The Giant Steps one Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1