bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Hotel Shampoo
Hotel Shampoo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27    Post subject: Hotel Shampoo Reply with quote

The new Gruff Rhys album finally dropped through my mailbox this week, and after a few listens I can say that it's really really good. I don't even know why I'm so surprised about that to be honest, perhaps it's got something to do with 'The Terror of Cosmic Loneliness'...

Anyway, Hotel Shampoo is definitely Gruff's best solo record so far, and I think it's up there with some of the best SFA stuff as well. I can't really name any standout tracks on it, all the 13 songs are relatively short and have some catchy hook in them. It's a very pleasant sounding album, albeit a bit melancholic. But that's a good thing.

Did I say that it's a really really good album?
Melz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe it's taken me this long to say anything about this. First time I listened to it, I kind of had it playing in the background and didn't really take much notice of it (shame on me!) But.. I really liked it when I actually listened to it as a collection of individual songs rather than a full album.

Definite highlights for me though are 'Honey All Over' and 'Sensations In The Dark'. Smile Might take me a few more listens before I start rating it all collectively higher than Candylion, but I reckon I will eventually.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 01:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the album sounded a bit boring on my first listen too, but it has definitely grown on me. I can't name any definite highlights on the album, but my lowlights (that's the opposite, isn't it?) are 'Sophie Softly' and 'Conservation Conversation', perhaps 'Take A Sentence' too... but I still quite like even these songs. If I would have to pick a favourite, that would probably be 'If We Were Words (We Would Rhyme)' - I guess I just like pop songs in waltz tempo! ('Waltz #2' by Elliott Smith is totally amazing)

I never liked 'Candylion' that much, it's a good album too but I rarely listen to it anymore. In fact I think I preferred the first Gruff Rhys solo album, the Welsh one which name I can't spell without the help of google...
discoRdance

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yr Atal Genhedlaeth is best, Candylion is good, although not quite up with great SFA and I'm struggling with Hotel Shampoo... bit too laid back, maybe. Melodies aren't upto his usual standard, overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1