bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the new football season is almost here again, it's time for some predictions etc!

Am I the only one here who is not particularly looking forward to the new season? Maybe it's just because Barnsley haven't signed any new players during the summer, and with the current team I know it's going to be just another relegation battle.

I haven't spent much time in front of my computer or television this summer, so I really have no idea what's going on in the world of football. I only recently discovered that Michael Owen has signed for Man United, and Sir Bobby Robson has died two days ago. RIP Bobby Sad

I don't care much about the Premier League anymore, but I predict that Liverpool will be strong again next season - will that be enough for the title though, I don't think so, but as far as I know the other top clubs haven't really improved during the summer, so it'll be a tough fight between Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea. Maybe Arsenal could surprise again, but they're not spending enough £££. Man City will be shit - even Barnsley played 1-1 against them yesterday.

It'll be interesting to see Newcastle and some other big teams in the Championship, I believe that Newcastle will do well and get promoted back to the Premier League. It's also a bit strange to see all those teams in League One that played in the PL just a few seasons ago.

Barnsley will avoid getting relegated again this season, but I bet we're going to need a surprise 4-0 away victory at WBA on the last day of the season to climb away from the relegation zone to safety.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:29    Post subject: RIP Bobby Reply with quote

Hew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 04:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

villa beat juventus in the Peace Cup with mainly our reserve team. it's sad when I get excited about preseason tournaments but it's the first thing we've won since 96.
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no idea what's going to happen this year, I just want the season to get started again so I can stop pretending to be a socially adequate human being and get back to talking about football 24/7.

Can anyone lend me $10 million USD so I can buy Tranmere Rovers? I'd love to own Tranmere, I'd let my Dad take charge of day to day affairs and I'd just pick the team and maybe name a stand after myself. The 'John Mc Cowshed' has a certain ring to it I'm sure you'll agree.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you only buy Tranmere with USD then? bit of a steep price that though i guess if it gives you access to john barnes' match analysis and his collection of suits it may prove worth the investment... i'd rather buy a cricket club these days, football needs ludicrous amounts of cash.

we'll do slightly better next season i think - we seem to be getting a midfield together and the lad we've just signed from armiens looked pretty ace at morecambe. yeah it was only morecambe but his composure on the ball and reading of the game was very very good so i 'ope he'll give seip the support/pace he needs alongside him at the back.
don't where our goals are going to come from though.

anyway i heartily recommed morecambe to anyone. what a great day out. nice pub opposite the eric morecambe statue which had a top games room with a punch bag thing that allowed two punches for a pound and it measured your strength... a great thing if you've been on the guinness since 11am!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 03:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football is shit.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly is. football free saturdays are ace!

not that i agree with the sentiment but there's a fuck off barnsley thread on the wsc forum (all to do with mark robins):

http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,35/func,view/id,276159/catid,27/
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
not that i agree with the sentiment but there's a fuck off barnsley thread on the wsc forum (all to do with mark robins):

http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,35/func,view/id,276159/catid,27/

haha, that place just seems to be full of pissed off Rotherham fans. Razz I'm not sure what to think of Mark Robins, I was secretly hoping that we could be able to get someone a bit more "high profile" like Alan Curbishley, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about Robins. It's a shame that things didn't work out with Simon Davey, but I got to agree with his sacking... I think it was time for a change.

And yes, football free saturdays are ace, although I must admit that I watched bits and pieces of the Finland vs Azerbaidjan match...

I just can't enjoy top level club football anymore (which is why I support Barnsley, ho ho), watching the Champions League makes me feel sick and the Premier League disgusts me. The European top leagues have become playgrounds for foreign multi-billionaires who probably don't even know the rules of the game, and Fifa are doing their best to fuck up everything with their stupid rulings - they only care about their own image and not what's best for the game.

Fifa did nothing when Iain Hume was nearly killed during a game last season, they just hid behind the rulebook and claimed that they can't do anything because the referee had already "dealt with the situation". As soon as one of the bigger clubs or their players get to the headlines though, they suddenly find some way to change those rules...

And now this Chelsea transfer incident... I would have thought that I'm just pleased to hear such news, but I'm actually a bit pissed off. As if Chelsea were the only club who don't follow all the rules when signing players... Spineless idiots.

I agree with Michel Platini about introducing a wage cap for the European leagues, although I fear it's too late for that already, and it's probably against some EU laws anyway so they'll never get anything done. I wouldn't mind if the biggest clubs formed their own "Super League" where clubs could spend as much money as they like... and I would be laughing my head off when they go bust.

Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a joke? Razz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8342406.stm

bbc wrote:
Newcastle United have announced their stadium will be known as the sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium for the immediate future.

What next?! bravecaptain.co.uk @ Anfield Road?
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this should probably be in the football thread but while we're on the subject of argyle I must ask how is shane lowry looking at the back? He's meant to be a bit of a promising player by all accounts but i've never seen him play for Villa.

saw him play for the first time myself yesterday - would say he was the pick of our back four - donny were good testing for him, good in the final third, some decent movement and a willing to run at defenders (thankfully they can't defend so were were able to win!). most argyle fans hope we can keep him for the season.
Hew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this should probably be in the football thread but while we're on the subject of argyle I must ask how is shane lowry looking at the back? He's meant to be a bit of a promising player by all accounts but i've never seen him play for Villa.

saw him play for the first time myself yesterday - would say he was the pick of our back four - donny were good testing for him, good in the final third, some decent movement and a willing to run at defenders (thankfully they can't defend so were were able to win!). most argyle fans hope we can keep him for the season.

very cool. of course it will probably do the lad good to stay at argyle for the year as it will be very hard for him to get near the villa line up right now. James Collins is surely the signing of the season. I thought he was going to be complete shite but he is ace and richard dunne is also quality.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done to slovenia for fucking fifa's seeding plan over, shame that ireland didn't do the same - and thierry henry, well i suspect most people would've done what he did but given all that bollocks he spouted about barcelona not playing barca football when the arse lost the champions league final, and all that shite about how dirty italy were in the last wc final... prick.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

"dirty" Leeds commited less fouls than Manchester United in their win at Old Trafford today

. . .

*laughs*
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done to slovenia for fucking fifa's seeding plan over, shame that ireland didn't do the same - and thierry henry, well i suspect most people would've done what he did but given all that bollocks he spouted about barcelona not playing barca football when the arse lost the champions league final, and all that shite about how dirty italy were in the last wc final... prick.

France's goal in the final came from a blatant dive, as did another penalty they got in an earlier game

Arsenal's goal in the Champions League final came from a free-kick awarded for a blatant dive by Eboue

Henry got Carlos Puyol sent off at the 2006 World Cup with a blatant act of cheating/feigning hurt

in fairness to the people of France, the majority of them - at least in any polls - were against Henry's actions and were also for a rematch, so I don't think it's right to say anyone would have done the same

the most sinister of all is FIFA, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1viuMsZ0WMs
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 03:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Tommy BOO on Sun May 23, 2010 05:28; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 142 of 143