bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Gig Of The Month
Gig Of The Month
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see Sonic Youth do the Daydream Nation thing on Friday and it was dick. I thought it would be great seeing one of my favourite albums played through in order but it was very dull indeed. People were cheering at the feedback bits in the same way your English teacher would laugh at the jokes in Shakespeare plays. If the Boo's ever get offered wheelbarrows full of cash to do a similar thing with Giant Steps I'll collect even bigger wheelbarrows full of cash not to do it.

Thurston Moores new solo album is surprisingly simple and lush though so I forgive him. It's properly grown up stuff with acoustic guitars and strings and everything.

Tune of the Day - Never Light by Thurston Moore
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 08:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underworld. Nottingham Rock City. Last night.

So far only beaten by LCD Soundsystem to gig of the year. Looking forward to lunchtime to buy the album, though I do hope the single is one of the poorer efforts on there...

x
gillworm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloc Party at the Camden Barfly last night - sweaty, heaving, euphoric! Kele showed us how to crowd surf, travelling the length of the venue to stand on the bar....and back again! I'm still not a big fan of the second album but most of it plays well live, especially as the band is pretty tight musically.
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Underworld. Nottingham Rock City. Last night.

So far only beaten by LCD Soundsystem to gig of the year. Looking forward to lunchtime to buy the album, though I do hope the single is one of the poorer efforts on there...

x

Dammit, I have always wanted to see Underworld and have still never managed to. I didn't find out about the London dates until last week when they were already sold out of course. Glad they were good though, looking forward to hearing their new album...

Mark.x
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say, but it's alittle dull. There's certainly nothing on there with any kind of passing resemblance to Moaner. In fact, in parts it more closely resembles Moby Confused

It's not bad, just a little forgettable....

x
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to watch Prefuse 73 last night, it was OK but I wasn't really in the mood for glitchy hip-hop action. And it was raining stupidly hard. And the Big Issue seller outside the venue called me a c**t cos I wouldn't buy a Big Issue. Not a great night all in all.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit John, me and akira went to that. I though Chrome Hoof were ace for about two songs and Prefuse 73, who I was very excited about seeing, was dull as fuck. We left after ten minutes and went to approxomately thirty seven bars, ending up in a rather dodgy one in Dalston where I lost my hat.

I didn't buy a big issue either but gave him a couple of quid. If there was any such thing as heaven, and there isn't, I would be in like Flynn.

x
sparky
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravecaptain wrote:
I though Chrome Hoof were ace for about two songs and Prefuse 73, who I was very excited about seeing, was dull as fuck.

Quite right - Prefuse 73 sounded great for 10 minutes but we were bored after 20 when we realised he only had one idea.

Battles (the headline act in Manchester) were much better. The live version of Atlas was one of the best live tracks I've heard this year. I encourage everyone to check it out here:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/forkcast/46334-battles-atlas-leyendecker-live-at-the-pitchfork-music-festival

Ulrich Schnauss & Maps tonight - I have a feeling it's going to be a cracker.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, Prefuse 73's albums are ace as opposed to Battles who are ace live but whose album I find pretty much unlistenable.
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravecaptain wrote:

I didn't buy a big issue either but gave him a couple of quid. If there was any such thing as heaven, and there isn't, I would be in like Flynn.

If i don't get into heaven then failure to buy the Big Issues will be be low down on the list of reasons. I regularly bear false witness and covet my neighbours house. It is a lovely house though.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 'ad a verbal sparing with a BI seller once as well - in baath. he shurup when he saw the copy i'd got from someone else, and we apologised n made up. 'eck i bought regularly from him after that.

agree the underworld album is a bit of a let down - i still keep buying their stuff even though they've never topped dubno... part of the reason is they are so ace live, gutted they didn't come sarf this time.

AUG:

Winner - Interpol @ Brum Academy. Sound was immaculate. More importantly it was a great set, great crowd and they remain a live tour de force... if only editors still did!

Runner Up - Dead 60s @ Thekla. Still a great live band even if the set was surprisingly short. Saw the very ace Crystal Castles in the afternoon and that would've topped 'em had the sound not been so patchy.

SEP:

Winner - I'm From Barcelona @ Thekla - One of the gigs of the year really. Shame only 100 or so turned up. They gave everything, had top pop tunes, had balloons and confetti being chucked around at every opportunity even getting us miserable lots on the balcony to lob some (its great 'cos there's still some on the lighting upstairs!). Better, "tighter" bands will be seen, but few will be as much fun.

Runner Up - Gossip @ Bristol Academy - They were good, her voice fantastic and that I recall it positively says a lot. The crowd was 'orrible, surprsingly aggressive and a sad scattering of homophobic "lads". The venue is so shite, everyone rammed in, paying £3.50 for pish beer and that don't help things so it wasn't surprising there was a fight near the end and only my cowardness kept me out, even i'd got wound up. Such a shite venue that's only redeeming thing is the sound quality, I can't bring meself to go there again, not even for the mighty Furries next week.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ulrich Schnauss & Maps tonight - I have a feeling it's going to be a cracker.

Best 2 artist bill since the Longcut and Maps at the Leadmill in March. Loved Ulrich even if i'd wished he could have broken his set occasionally to give me feet a rest... Maps were fantastic. A great live band have got better, the tunes were beefier, a little more ravier and, heck, if we'd not been stalking the whip we would've seen more than the Thekla date last week. Trust yer enjoyed it Sparky!
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gutted about that Whip gig in Sheffield. Been looking forward to it for several weeks, only to find I will be driving home from Newquay that night Crying or Very sad

My next gig probably won't be until December Crying or Very sad

TTL, you really should pm me whenever you hit the Leady, would be good to have a drink or half...

x
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TTL, you really should pm me whenever you hit the Leady, would be good to have a drink or half...

Its a date then, whenever it may be!!! - and we'll enjoy the whip at Plug on yer behalf!!

x
gillworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republic of Loose @ Water Rats

if you've heard of them at all it's because disco & myself bang on about them...so here's a review from the Times, not particularly well written but gives an idea of them. http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article2687952.ece

Mick came on in dodgy hoodie (white with silver printing of the Terminator robot skeleton) and crappy shades at the Water Rats gig too. as with gigs I've been to before, they had a good fanbase there, vocal and energetic - which was a good thing since he made us jump up and down to a few songs! they really are a good band live though they tend to play fairly short sets. good stuff!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5