bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The Aliens
The Aliens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 09:27    Post subject: The Aliens Reply with quote

Having only heard a 2 minute snippet of them via Sparky's mixtape, I went out and bought their new album.

It's like The Beatles and The Beach Boys got together and took ten times more Acid then they ever did, then created this. It's absolutely mad as a coked up fish. In parts it's a reall mess, but in others it's really beautiful.

Go get it and be confused, maddened and delighted all at once.

K x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 07:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had never even heard of them until i saw martin mention them in his blog some time ago. and i still haven't heard anything by them...

post some youtube links or something for us please Cool
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then download Sparky's birthday mix because that still remains the best thing I've heard this year.

The new album is worth the money alone just for "Blue Mantle". Once of the dreamiest, most beautiful things you'll ever hear.

x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Sparky's birthday mix

What's that then? Shocked
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard some of their songs on youtube, I was actually quite impressed.
Might consider buying the album at some point if I ever see it somewhere... or even buy it online (I mean proper CD album of course, not some poxy mp3s) Razz

(Just a reminder to myself) they've got two albums, "Astronomy For Dogs" and "Luna", both available for £7.99 on Play.com... (the strange thing is that it's more expensive to download the mp3 album!!)
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
the best thing I've heard this year.

Damn you and your superlatives, Mr Kinkster! Very Happy

I'm sure that last time when I asked the best thing was the MGMT album!
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Kris wrote:
Sparky's birthday mix

What's that then? Shocked

http://www.bravecaptain.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25428&sid=1f765f414791b57e33c8017958ebcd0d#25428

Where my love of The Aliens began. I have to wait for Xmas now for 'Astronomy' Rolling Eyes

K x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 03:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought "Astronomy For Dogs" last week...

The songs on it are good (but too long) but as an album it's a slight disappointment. For example, 'Setting Sun' is a brilliant album opener, but after the first three minutes it gets so repetitive that I always want to skip it.

'Robot Man' is indeed the best that the album has to offer, that's some truly unique stuff, although when I play that song and close my eyes I can see a non-stop animation of Peter Crouch's robot dance. It's also the shortest song on the album (3:52) so I'm glad that they didn't ruin it by trying to make a 10-minute epic thing out of it.

'The Happy Song' in the end sounds indeed very happy.

I think the album is a "grower" though, and as I've only played it two or three times now, it's still too early to form a proper opinion. I already think that it's a decent album, the songs are good but I'm always tempted to press the 'next track' button on my remote before the songs ends, which I feel a bit guilty about. But yeah, if the new album is as good as this or even better, I'll probably get it at some point as well...

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1