bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - best 5 albums ever
best 5 albums ever
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 15:08    Post subject: best 5 albums ever Reply with quote

i know there have been a lot threads like this in the past, but im starting another one anyway...
so, what are your favourite 5 albums ever?
only one album per band please - at least on my list there would be 4 boo's and 1 bravecaptain album. no best of collections either.
che

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

giant steps
psyence fiction
the holy bible
kid a
open heart zoo

in that order/
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. THE BOO RADLEYS Kingsize
-simply the best album ever. no bad songs on this album, in fact all the songs are pure class! i can't believe why did they choose free huey as a single though - in my opinion it's one of the worst songs on the album. still it's a great song. amazing album!

2. BLUR Modern Life Is Rubbish
-the second album by Blur... still their best one so far. the lyrics are great and they use a lot of weird but cool instruments. sadly, just like oasis, the band has gone only downhill after that. i'm still waiting for their new album with excitement. blur are nothing without graham coxon though.

3. HANOI ROCKS Two Steps From The Move
-okay, it's Hanoi Rocks again - the band you've never even heard of. well they were a cult band in the 80s and this is certainly their best album. unfortunately, their drummer Razzle died in 1984 and the band was gone for 18 years - yeah they released a new album last year but i guess that you're not too interested so i just go to the next album...

4. BRAVE CAPTAIN Advertisements For Myself
-Martin's best solo album so far... well, just make a search to read my comments about this one.

5. DAVID BOWIE The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
-hey now this album is a real legend. even though Bowie's later albums haven't always been that great, this one's full of true classic songs... the album is too goddamn short though.

I feel bad now because there are so many albums that I really like and they are not on this list... Eggman, Inner Circle, Manic Street Preachers, The Beatles, Catatonia and Pulp (I'm sure I forgot a lot of good stuff!) deserved some kind of mention in this message too.
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, can't get enough of these sad anal threads! My favourite 5 albums (today):

1. The Bends - ok their later albums are probably better 'sonically' and more varied and stuff, but this was one of my first loves, and round the time it was getting sold to high heaven i used to live 2 streets down from Thom & once was behind him in a queue at Lloyds bank (wee fella). "Gravity always wins"

2. Sigur Ros () - a new favorite. Anyone have this album? Beauty is an overused word but track 4 - melts my heart.

3. A Northern Soul - just started listening to it again. In fact forget that, I have a bootleg called 'electric sessions' and the guitar on the versions of A New Decade, This Is Music & the bass on Slide Away will blow your tiny (!) minds...

4. Blonde On Blonde
"Ah the teen preacher gave me two cures and said "jump right in", one was Texas medicine, the other was railroad gin. And like a fool I mixed them and it scrambled up my mind, and people just get uglier and I have no sense of time. Ahhh Mama...."

5. C'mon Kids
Natch.

I reserve the right to completly change my 5 fav. albums in 3 months time when someone else starts a similar thread!

Night night.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

could never ever do a best 5 albums, just impossible. But fave 5 bands would be

Boo's
Super Furry Animals
Prefab Sprout
Madness
Underworld

As for Free Huey being the worst on Kingsize, probably is and the RUMOURS that i've read suggest it was only released as AM didn't care for Kingsize at all and did it to spite the Boo fans at Creation. Dunno if thats true though! Anyway the line "Gotta be all ya can be" is one of my fave ever Boo lines so i'll always like it.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumours eh? AM would never have been that interested to get involved in single choices. The only person that was convinced about Free Huey being a single was me. Nobody else wanted it and they were probably right. I still think it's one of the best things we ever did.

1. Bringing it all back home
2. The White Album
3. Come on Pilgrim
4. The Violent Femmes
5. Psychocandy

It would be different tomorrow ('cept for no 1). x
Grumble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 06:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 The Smiths: Strangeways, here we come.
2 The Boo Radleys: Giant Step
3 Pulp: Different Class
4 Bowie: Hunky Dory
5 The Streets: Original pirate material.

I could also change my mind tomorrow except for n°1 & 2.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 08:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i have to admit, "worst" sounds rude when talking about Free Huey, i never said that Free Huey is a bad song, no, it's brilliant, just like the other songs on the album. in my opinion, songs like Kingsize, Blue Room In Archway etc. are a bit better though, but that's just my opinion... i don't usually like the same songs than most of the people, so maybe Free Huey was a good choice after all...
anyway martin, the choice for the single certainly wasn't easy... i think that you could have chosen all the songs on Kingsize as singles. Rolling Eyes
che

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i do a bit of arselicking? ta.

i love the beats in free h. that fucked up bassy synth thing kicks major arse. it's the shiznay.

i also love the way sice screams as though it's the last chance he'll get before his balls drop.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do really like Free Huey, definate grower and i do love its yell along (ish) chorus. 'Tis just up against an album of pop classics that I lurve to bits and it sounds loads better as a single rather than on the album (bit like Stone Roses' Begging You)
ted maul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

love free huey, but someone told me the future is now was in the mix to be the first single off the album too. that would have been fucking great, i love that song.
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm going to miss something and remember it later, but:

1.) Kingsize - loved it straight away, but even then it grew and grew and grew on me.

2.) OK Computer

3.) The Stone Roses

4.) Technique

5.) The White Album

Shall have chnaged my mind about all but Kingsize this time tomorrow

Kinkster
Ciaran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always in flux (weekly) but here goes.

forever changes: love

Loveless: my bloody valentine

music has the right to children: boards of canada

music from big pink: the band

laser guided melodies; spiritualised
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

the number one on my list could have been Giant Steps or C'mon Kids or Kingsize or Wake Up! too... it changes all the time. Right now I'm listening to Giant Steps and it just replaced Kingsize on the top... it will probably change again later today Rolling Eyes
Melz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Boo Radleys - Kingsize
2. Brave Captain - Advertisements For Myself
3. Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla
4. Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows
5. Lit - Atomic

Melz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4