bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Sentimental Old fool
Sentimental Old fool
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 21:41    Post subject: Sentimental Old fool Reply with quote

As i frankly have too much time on my hands I was just reading some old posts from 2003 when this board was a hive of activity...i felt a big twinge of nostalgia

Just out of interest how many of us diehards are still left occasionally popping into the now rather quiet pub "the bravecaptain"? and what were you doing at the start of the decade and what are you doing now...?

Start of the decade I was travelling around the world....incredibly happy...i recall coming home and buying "better living..." and admiring the bright orange cover and the pulsating sonics...

Nowadays I'm a stone heavier working 60 hours a week but still posting shite on here....and still pretty happy... over to you...!
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still check this site at least twice a day even though we can go weeks without anything being posted here. like an unconscientious postman i should post more.

at the start of the last decade i was doing the same job i'm doing now but doing it less well. i was living in london and having a fine old time. now i'm living in dublin and having a finer old time. life is sweet and i'm hoping it will continue to get sweeter.

i only found out about 'better living...' cos of an advert in nme, i rushed down to the big hmv on oxford street and bought it straight away. what a dazzling single that was, it revived my faith in the 'captain. i'm gonna listen to it now.

Who's gonna jump aboard the bc board nostalgia train next?
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 06:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still check here most days....

Ten years (ten years!) ago I was working for the same company I do now, but in a far shittier job, so things have improved in that respect. I've got married and taken on the responsibility of owning a cat, who is currently trying to drink from the tap again .

I remember when bravecaptain started there were full/half page reviews of the Fingertip Saint sessions in the magazines, and a bit of a buzz for about 5 minutes. Was Select still going then? Anyway although the media buzz died down in never did for me. The two Fingertip... CDs I found slightly disappointing, but as John Mc says 'Better Living...' was brilliant.

Finally, I too am about a stone heavier.
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 06:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still check in every day, though I'm not hearing many ToTD's or finding much of excitement to chat about.

I was the other way around, thinking that The Fingertip sessions were beautiful and then being disappointed by Better Living.... though Me and You Glue is still brilliant. For me though he really took off with The Pledge Resistance ep. I became as big a fan of bc then as I had been of the Boo's.

This time in 2000 I'd just left Uni at the second time of asking and was beginning a 5 year career in the games industry. Despite every game I ever worked on being a No.1 best seller (all two of them Wink ), it's something I don't miss in the slightest. I'm now what Martin would call, "a hollow eyed suit", but I get to finish at 5 and go home to see my one year old smile at me for a few hours before bed each day Smile
Melz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still around, though not as much as I used to be. I'm not hearing much in the way of great new music either (aside from the contributions by our board-mates, sparky and jjon), so my ToTD suggestions would mostly be things from back in the day.

Recently I burnt an mp3 CD for my car of every bravecaptain track I have and it's been amazing to listen to it all again. Captain America is still epic, Better Living is still immense, Pilgrim Hold Your Lamp Up High is still awe-inspiring, Corporation Man still rocks it, Enlightenment still sends shivers down my spine, January still makes me smile, and Hermit Versus The World is still the most gorgeous four minutes and two seconds I've heard in over a decade.

Back in 2000 I was studying for my GCSEs. Ten years and two literature degrees later, here I am leaving my job as an English teacher. It's been a good job but not really for me, so I'm sure whatever comes next will be a step "forwards not backwards".
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some Boos news which I missed:

http://www.creation-records.com/site/ed-ball-the-boo-radleys-reunite-at-abbey-road/

As for other top tunage, as the world and his hip-hop cat has been saying, the Big Boi album is brilliant and has been soundtracking my nights and days for the past week.

TOTD: Be Still by Big Boi
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here as well!
I normally still check this site out just about every day. Not been on that much recently though, I've spent most of the last few weeks away from home, and on top of that, my computer decided to blow up when I came back home the other day.

Ten years ago I had only just heard about bravecaptain, I had no idea what it would sound like, but as a huge Boos fan I just had to find out. The bc website (that looked totally different back then) looked quite funky so I joined the bc messageboard and posted two thousand and nine hundred pointless posts. A very friendly fellow forum member sent me the both Fingertip Sessions CDs, and even if I was slightly disappointed as well at first (I do love them now, I guess I was just excepting something more like the Boo Radleys), I soon fell in love with the music. 'Advertisements For Myself' and the 'Better Living...' EP totally blew me away, and it was during the AFM tour when I saw the captain live for the first time.

Ten years ago I was finishing high school and thinking about what to do with my life. Ten years and many failed experiments later I've (practically) finished my IT studies and I'm looking for a new job.

Oh, and I must be a stone heavier than ten years ago as well.

The future is here, so glad you made it here...
Bev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Oh, and I must be a stone heavier than ten years ago as well.

God, are there any bravecaptain fans who haven't let themselves go?
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall we set up a bravecaptain slimming club?
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as two stone up from 2000. But then, I did manual labour and smoked, then quit and became a nerd......
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melz wrote:
Pilgrim Hold Your Lamp Up High is still awe-inspiring

Have you got a good quality mp3 of that song without any blips or other strange noises? I know that such mp3 exists (or at least used to exist) somewhere in the cyberspace, but the one that I can find on my hard drive now sounds crap (quality wise)

It's a great song and I'd love to hear it in better quality.
Melz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
It's a great song and I'd love to hear it in better quality.

Check your e-mail. Wink
Dave w.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still check the site every few days. this is probably more healthy than when i was checking it several times an hour a few years back. and better than when i was unemployed in 2004 and felt the need to reply to every post on the football thread.

10 years ago i was working for a small company on the wirral. now i work for a bigger company in birmingham. i don't have any scales, but i think i'm about the same weight.

fingertip saint part 1 came out on my 25th birthday. i remember going to virgin megastore in birkenhead to buy it after phoning woolworths in heswall who didn't have it (but said they might the following week if it went into the charts Sad ). those were the days...
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

still keep me eyes on t’board. less than i used to but i’m a busy fella all the time in work these days. i clearly ain’t alone in that!

start of the decade i was gearing up for me wedding – having great fun selecting the tunes we’d play (i hang suspended was the boos choice if you are interested) – gearing up to watch england for the last time (howard wilkonsons one game in charge over in the land of tommy boo) and hoping that somehow i’d get to see the world beyond europe…

i did. not as much as i’d like to have but more than i ever expected when i was a kid spending hours looking at maps. i do feel pretty lucky about that though there’s still so many places to go.

at some point i gave up using capital letters.

to my surprise i’m firmly settled in bristol and short of the job dictating otherwise or somehow blagging a position in the states i don’t want that to change. i see a lot less football than then, but i do see a lot more bands. a matter of economics, time and a loathing for past times that involve sitting have determined that.

weight – a small bit more than a decade a go but still a good bit less than what i weighed for much of the nineties (truly if other argyle fans still visit this site dig out yer dvd of our 5-0 win at bury and look scarily at the biggest bloke in the away end… just happened to be me!).

bc/mc - so many of the tunes still fill me wonderment….

as does the entire best coast debut album (if jesus & mary chain had come from california and had a female lead singer). one constant of the passing years is the buzz, the love i still get out of listening to music.

x
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here too! But I only check the board every few weeks - not a few times a day like I used to when I worked in an office!

I guess 10 years ago I was just about to finish uni at Warwick - I did a Computer Engineering course, though I think now that probably wasn't the right course for me. Then I got a programming job and worked in an office for 4 years before fortunately being made redundant - the best thing that could have happened to me!

I moved to London, started going out to clubs and gigs and met loads of people who are now close friends, met my girlfriend, joined a couple of bands and played loads of exciting gigs in different countries and at festivals. Good times! At the same time I got a new programming job working from home in a small company with some friends, which I still have and still like.

Now, I've finally started to make some money out of music (Sony's production music dept comissioned a song from me this year in fact!) and although I'm still not at all sure where I'll be this time next year I'm pretty happy and life is good! I'd like to see a bit more of the world still, and maybe buy a house at some point - but still time for all that!

I think I'm the same weight as I was at uni... I certainly drink less and eat more heathily than I did then! And yeah - bc or the Boos are still regularly on my CD player!

x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2