bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Terror of Cosmic Loneliness
Terror of Cosmic Loneliness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36    Post subject: Terror of Cosmic Loneliness Reply with quote

So I picked up a copy of 'The Terror of Cosmic Loneliness' by Tony Da Gatorra and Gruff Rhys at the weekend.

It's going to take me a couple more listens, I reckon. After the polish of Neon Neon, this is a bit more of a ramshackle "throw all the instruments at a tree and see what noise it makes" kind of thing with both artists taking turns on lead vocals.

Highlights so far are the Gruff-tastic 'In a house with no mirrors (you'll never get old)' and losing count of the number of times Da Gatorra says "Braziiiiillll"
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29    Post subject: Re: Terror of Cosmic Loneliness Reply with quote

Melz wrote:
It's going to take me a couple more listens, I reckon.

A couple more listens haven't made me like this album any more, I'm afraid. Apart from the few highlights it's pretty unlistenable... it's not terribly bad when I put on my Gruff Rhys hat and try to figure out what the hell it's all about, but I don't really like it either.
Melz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Gruff Rhys' film 'Separado' last night and really enjoyed it. It was a bit like an episode of Who Do You Think You Are but with 500% more 'Gyrru Gyrru Gyrru'.

I honestly wasn't expecting much, considering I only got it by spending HMV Pure points, but I came away from it enlightened, educated and smiling. I'd recommend it.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 00:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

have now ordered separado having not been able to see it at the cinema (though i'm glad that one bristol cinema gave it an airing!).

i saw the gig at ifor bach. it was mental. it seemed to go on for ages and was for quite a lot of the time really hard going. it was typically gruff great in its quirkiness and the sheer confusion between him and tony particularly when gruff couldn't get him off stage made me smile! tony was a dude though, sporting brazillian flag clad flares and yelling out "peace" more times than i'll be swearing at argyle's board members next tuesday night! the wonderful islet supported, i count myself truly lucky to have seen them 3 times this year but i'm also a bit sad it was only 3 times - you'd have to be a grumpy souless bastard not to enjoy their live set and ifor bach was a great venue for them!

dunno if you've heard the new gruff one - its ace and probably better than anything on this album (though i agree house with no mirrors is ace):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgderpwopu
Melz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
i saw the gig at ifor bach. it was mental. it seemed to go on for ages and was for quite a lot of the time really hard going. it was typically gruff great in its quirkiness and the sheer confusion between him and tony particularly when gruff couldn't get him off stage made me smile! tony was a dude though, sporting brazillian flag clad flares and yelling out "peace" more times than i'll be swearing at argyle's board members next tuesday night! the wonderful islet supported, i count myself truly lucky to have seen them 3 times this year but i'm also a bit sad it was only 3 times - you'd have to be a grumpy souless bastard not to enjoy their live set and ifor bach was a great venue for them!

That sounds like an amazing gig! There's a bit in Separado where Gruff and Tony get together and record some music but can't seem to understand each other aside from the occasional thumbs-up. The subtitles definitely help when Tony's on - apparently his lyrics are "My name is Tony. I made an instrument. My name is Tony and I made an instrument." Subsequently he's now a legend in my book. Braziiiiiilll!

The new Gruff stuff sounds fantastic, but I'd love SFA to tour again soon. I've seen them twice (2001 and 2009) and could really do with another dose!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 08:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't catch the furries in 09 Sad which is odd given that they are one of my 5 fave bands of all time and that i really liked their last album.

I've got tickets for Gruff again in February at St Georges Hall in Bristol which is a reallly nice and quirky place to get to see him. He's doing quite a few dates around the place so I hope you can get to see him then! His solo shows have always been quirky, I loved the candylion one with the the whole tv screen set up and the brilliant live looping!

Anyway braziiiiiiil!! Peeeeeaaaaaaacccccccceeee!

Smile
Melz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2009 dates they did were all at outdoor venues because the songs on Dark Days / Light Years were "too epic to be played indoors". I saw them at Clumber Park supported by Supergrass and the Lightning Seeds, which made for a fan-bloody-tastic night of entertainment in the middle of a forest. SFA highlights were Gruff and his instructional signs for the audience: "WOAH!" "AAAHH!" and "APPLAUSE!" then holding up his microphone to a giant picture of Nick McCarthy from Franz Ferdinand for the German rap in Inaugural Trams, the earth-shattering madness of Crazy Naked Girls, the mass-stomp-along of Mt., TMDGAF as usual, and my joyous surprise to hear them close with Keep The Cosmic Trigger Happy. Very Happy

Will definitely see if I can get to a Gruff show next month. I wanted to see Neon Neon a couple of years ago when they played in a pub in Leeds, but never got chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1