bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - cardiff moon club 22/3/15
cardiff moon club 22/3/15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 00:19    Post subject: cardiff moon club 22/3/15 Reply with quote

thought the merry few that may still peruse these pages might appreciate a quick note on the gig in cardiff tonight.

no sign of elvis at the moon, but martin carr was there and he is the kingsize. i've spouted enough about loving the songs, their part in my life so i'll keep it brief...

the breaks is better than ye gods. it sounded splendid tonight - the standouts tonight being st peter in chains, no money in my pocket and sante fe - but dead of winter was a fab reminder ye gods has some great moments as well. we also got a couple of really oldies including...

lazarus.

i beamed as much as the sun has this beautiful weekend, and david quantick played air-drums. i can only assume it was like being in the offices of select magazine circa 1995.

the setlist:

st peter in chains
senseless apprentice
i don't think i'll make it
mountains
mainstream
reaching out from here
dead of winter
sometimes it pours
santa fe
mandy get your mello on
the breaks
lazarus

and an encore whose title escapes me. but the memory fades with age and i'm old. but i guess we all are now.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I saw Martin supporting Gruff Rhys (!) in Dublin two months ago and the setlist was quite similar (but a bit shorter obviously), except that he didn't play...

Lazarus. Mad

The Breaks is indeed better than Ye Gods, it's a great album and a fine collection of songs - there's not a bad/average tune on the whole album! Ye Gods, on the other hand, has some of the best songs that Martin has ever written (Darwin's Tree for example is just amazing!) but it's not as good as The Breaks as an album.

We need a proper thread for The Breaks.
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, The Breaks is pretty damn special, although after hearing Santa Fe Skyline first, I was surprised how many slower, downbeat songs were on there. But the title track is a thing of beauty. Always humming it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1