bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Remember how we used to be and our energy?
Remember how we used to be and our energy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulwhite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:54    Post subject: Remember how we used to be and our energy? Reply with quote

Thought I'd check in to the only online community that I ever participated in.

Can't believe it was 11 years since I last posted. Still remember chatting with che, tommy boo, kris, setareh, etc. on msn all those years ago. Still remember fervently devouring Martin's every release, seeing him at the joiners in Southampton, being too shy to speak to him.

I guess we've all got older now, with partners and houses and cats and no time to listen to music. Might stick on everything's alright forever on the bus ride home tonight.

Boo! Forever
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a look in here every now and then, even though there are about three new posts a year! I really loved this place back in its glory days - the bc board was my online home for a few years, and I haven't felt like that about any other online community, and most likely never will. I was young and naive, used way too many smileys and posted a lot of stupid things, but I only did it because I loved you all. Razz

I do remember chatting with a lot of people from here as well, and I also got to meet quite a few bc people on a few occasions. I still remember my very first bravecaptain gig too, London 2002 I think. I was also too shy to speak to Martin, but luckily my friend literally pushed me into the tiny backstage room, and I was forced to exchange a few words with Martin. I've met Martin a few times after that; a few gigs around the UK (the highlights being the bc farewell gig in London, and Martin supporting Gruff Rhys in Dublin), and one time I bumped into him on a busy street in Notting Hill when I was visiting London for a football match - I think that may be the strangest thing that has ever happened to me!

I've barely stayed in touch with my bc friends during the recent years, which I feel a bit guilty about, but I guess we all got older and busy and all that... Che sadly passed away last year. I truly hope that everyone else in here is doing well.

I am not the same boy that I once was, nowadays I am so hard to find... but feel free to drop me a message any time.
paulwhite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy boo! I knew you would still check in here. I always think of you whenever I see Barnsley's results! I hope you are doing well?

I never knew about Che and was truly shocked when I read your message. I never met him but spent a lot of time chatting with him, and even recorded a song with him that he sent to Martin to listen to. Very sad.

Like you, I loved spending time on here, despite now feeling embarrassed at nearly everything I posted! I never met anyone here, but still felt part of community, exchanging CDs, listening to eachother's music - we were even going to setup a online magazine called Hip Clown Rag. Anyone remember that?

I've not kept up to date with Martin's recent records, but good to see he's still out performing. I always remember him supporting SFA at the Royal Festival Hall and playing a brilliant set in a small room. I never knew about the farewell gig, anyone got any more info on that, setlist, etc?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! I'm doing well, thanks for asking!

I remember the song that you and Che recorded together, I should still even have it on my computer. I can't check that right now though, because I've just bought our own apartment with my girlfriend and most of my stuff is still packed in boxes all over the place.

And I remember our online magazine as well! I think it was you, me, che and Melz? We even got the domain sorted but didn't get much further than that... I had way too much time in my hands back then, so I wish I had spent that on something more productive than posting real-time football results in here. Razz

You really should check out some of Martin's newer albums! "Ye Gods! (and Little Fishes)" is almost ten years old already, and it has got some lovely songs on it... 'Darwin's Tree' may be the finest of Martin's solo songs. "The Breaks" is an even better album in my opinion... 'Santa Fe Skyway' is a great catchy tune that I played to death before the album was even released. The newest album "New Shapes of Life" is from the last year, and definitely worth checking out too, even though it needed a bit more time (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!) than the previous two albums.

The bc farewell gig was in 2006 I think. Somewhere in London, I can't remember where exactly... It was a great night; lots of bc board folks were there and it was nice to finally meet some of the people that I had been talking to in here for years. Unfortunately I can't remember the setlist at all, but perhaps it's buried somewhere on this forum...
paulwhite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tommy!

Glad you're doing well. I've just bought a house with my partner as well, so life is pretty good. Cool I'll still have that song somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and give it a spin. Just reading my old PMs - che invited me to London to play with him and said Sice was going to sing our song! It never happened, obviously.

I'll have to check out Martin's new stuff, I'm sure it's great. I just read back about the farewell gig. Looks like I fell off the radar of this site from Jan 2006, so completely missed all of that which is a shame as it would've been great to meet everyone.

So strange reading back on this forum. Seems like when I wasn't moaning about being lonely and depressed, I was trying to get everyone to listen to my music! Aah, well - to be in my early 20s again.

I hope everyone else is doing well - be great to hear from anyone who still checks in.

x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1