bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Magnolia
Magnolia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 23:33    Post subject: Magnolia Reply with quote

Just came home from seeing "Magnolia" with a male friend (why I mention this will matter later on...just hold on).

It was a good film but not nearly as great as I've heard and read about it. First off, I've read before that at the end all the little stories are woven together perfectly, this was simply not true.
Secondly,while the male charachters were versatile and showed a range of types of men basically all the women were hysterical, screaming psycho cases. Although in the end you got to see why one of them had this problem there wasn't one single sympathetic woman portrayed in the film...it was odd, not that it's the first film ever but this film has been praised insanely from all camps.

My friend pretty much agreed. Don't get me wrong, we both thought it was a good movie, but not a change in cinema history.

A movie that does suck but people like "The English Patient"...romantic?! They're hardly together...boring boring snob junk.

Love and Peace
Setareh

P.S. Can we do something to stop Ja Rule from singing? He has an awful voice...stop screaming...bleeeh
Bev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but it has a rain of frogs in!
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev wrote:
Yeah but it has a rain of frogs in!

One of the scariest movie sequences ever...the Moses movie wasn't nearly as horrible when it rained frogs.

One of the best scenes of "Magnolia" was actually when Tom Cruise's charachter was at his father's deathbed and kept alternating between 'I hate you' and 'don't leave me'...intense.

Kärlek och Fred
Bev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of films (tenuous link!)...

I have just watched 'Christie Malary's Own Double Entry' which is a film based on BS Johnson's novel of the same name...

The book is ace, and i though the adaptation was pretty good, although bits were changed/updated as is always the case... It is basically about a guy who applies the principles of double entry book keeping to his own life, i.e a wanker with a BMW annoys him so he keys his car... this then escalates into bomb threats & poisoning water supplies... For obvious reasons it was pretty much shunned when it came out a yr and a bit ago...

Has an ace soundtrack by Luke Haines as well.

Be careful when typing the title into search engines though kids!
gillworm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 09:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love Magnolia but i've always thought it was one of those films you either love or hate...certainly the best acting i've ever seen from tom cruise and you're absolutley right about the versatility of the male actors.

i found the julianne moore character difficult but not totally unsympathetic because she has come to love the man she married for his money and now that he's dying she's devestated by her loss...

having said that none of the female characters are sympathetic, Setareh, which of the male characters would you describe as sympathetic? the only ones that come to mind are the nurse and the cop, and they ain't exactly men i'd want to date myself!!!

i definitely think it's a film that should be seen at least twice, like the Usual Suspects, and maybe Momento, it's difficult to take it all in first time...isn't it mostly a film about flawed people in the most difficult situation??
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree on the first point gillworm, I didn't love it nor hate it.

Julianne Moore's charachter has begun to love her husband but still had a very cruel attitude towards his son, despite the fact that the son had nevr done anything to her, if anything, she had harmed him.

Yeah, the police and the nurse. It's not really about dating when I said sympathetic, but they were likable human beings. See, while the men, as I mentioned before were many types of people the women were all screaming psychotics.

Love and Peace
Bev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the reporter who interviews Tom Cruises character?
She was a strong, sympathetic, rational, non-psycho kind a lady wasn't she? Probably the most so out of the whole film...

(she wasn't a major character though, so this may not invlidate your point Setareh...)

p.s. William H Macy is a great actor!
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 09:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

She wasn't psychotic Bev, this is true, but I didn't find her sympathetic, she was quite cruel putting him in such a position infront of the camera. If he had had problems as a child and teenager and lied about it obviously it's somewhat serious...but she didn't care.

Oh well...but she add a bit of variaty to it all, but as you point out, small charachter. L&P
Ciaran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little stories in Magnolia were not meant to add up in the end. i think PTA is trying to say that peoples lives are intertwined in coincidental ways that not many people realise. However, this is still a messy situation with loose ends that don't tie up, like the interesting coincidental stories presented at the start of the film.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It DIDN'T bother me that they didn't all come together in the end, the stories I mean. It bothered me that reviews of the film had said they did...which they didn't.

Love and Peace
Setareh

P.S. Why are men so in love with this film???
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 09:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, not inlove with this film. probably its sexist or something? Julianne Moore is a respectable woman and mother and such but a horrendous actress. and Tom Cruise needs a decent smacking around for fucking up "the color of money". inferior casting, probably a bad script. i don't care either way actually. but try and seee a movie called "Wings of Desire" by Wim Wenders, 'cause its a sentimental emotional type thing that nearly gets it right.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa.... Kudos to whoever can find a decent logical chain of thought in that last post there. Note to self: if it's four in the morning and you find yourself plum out of wine, do not start drinking beer. no matter however good an idea it seems at the time.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

CranesAreFlying wrote:
Note to self: if it's four in the morning and you find yourself plum out of wine, do not start drinking beer. no matter however good an idea it seems at the time.

No, beer first, then wine.... & then whisky

& then whisky

& then whisky (repeat to fade)
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that how its done? Whiskey on top of wine? I'll have to remember that for when I get off the meds. There'll be no booze, cigs, or espresso for me for a very long time. What the hell am I going to do with myself?

Vodamusic.com
Bev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about your so-called American 'whiskeys' (!)

..but a nice scottish malt is the perfect end to a nice evening's drinking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1