bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - what's the best uk music magazine?
what's the best uk music magazine?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 14:15    Post subject: what's the best uk music magazine? Reply with quote

please tell me
i've read q magazine and mojo - i think that they both are quite crap
billycasper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new issue of bang has a track from the new webb brothers album (not due out til spring 2004) on its cover cd. the last issue of x-ray had a banging daniel johnston track on their cd. careless talk costs lives has nice pictures but, generally, the most pretentious waffle you could ever not want to read. otherwise i can't think of anything to recommend in uk music mags these days. unless you want another 'exclusive' interview with the white stripes or coldplay.
che

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nme (is fucking piss pathetic)
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
well well... at least british footie magazines are quite decent
ciaran

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them are shite. If you want to find out about new music, I find the album reviews in the weekend newspapers and on the net are every bit a sufficient if not better than, creti-nme, q and uncut or the rest of them.

there are some sad old grandads writing for the NME. If they are as getting as excited about the strokes and the white stripes as they say they are, i find it creepy, frankly.

some of the shite that Steve Sutherland has written about these bands, (a man approaching 50 if not already on the wrong side of that number) is so OTT it hurts to read.
ciaran

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I am saying that he can't get excited about these bands at his age. I'm not an ageist or anything, I just think he is a phoney.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting close to just getting all them free "indie" mags that litter brissles local venues 'cos the pay ones are cack really. Careless TCL is good for new bands n that but is (as billyc says) pretentious and far far far too humourless. Also a bit passionless too me thinks. Mojo is loads better than Q (what isn't?) but i don't really like mags that are that obsessed with the 60etc, a thing that really really ruins Uncut. Bang looks promising, but nothing will ever top Select at its peak! Top features and some great writers (was it Miranda Sawyer who wrote of Wake Up Boo! "the boo radleys are excellent and this time they've excelled themselves"? good features on trainers n tops too! hooray!).
lol TTL.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how music freaks can say Mojo is crap, not only is the quality of writing quite decent, but it reports on a wide range of music. I consider it too heavy for me because I'm not THAT crazy about all types of music.

Only time I've been disappointed was the Yoko interview, the journo was basically sucking up during the entire interview.

Amor y Paz
Bev

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 08:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select used to be ace!

There was an 'Image' once of the Boo Radleys recreating the Kennedy assination!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 08:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only ever once read Select and i remember it was pretty good... even though that was ages ago, i didn't know any of the bands on the magazine and my english was quite crap at that time. i heard that select magazine doesn't exist anymore... is that right? Confused
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Select went out of publication at the end of 2001 I believe...or was it 2000, same year as Melody Maker anyway. L&P

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 03:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup u=i'd say its all cocknokcer nonsense, sa[aret a[a azpa apart from that new one with the shins cd, but you know what fuckin uncut is OK qw i'd say so anyway. I fuckin hate hotpress but none of you cNa read that its the fuckin piece of shit irish mag with dickheads writing for it.
late me

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 03:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was me darragh
Kris

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 04:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I've discovered more good music in the last few years by coming to this messageboard than I have in the last 10 years of buying music mags.

The NME really needs to pull it's head out of it's arse. If I see Coldplay or The Yeah Yeah Yeah's on it's cover one more time I'm gonna cry.

Kinkster
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 09:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well, i can only buy the biggest magazines like q magazine, mojo and nme here in finland so i guess that there's not much hope for me Neutral finnish magazines aren't that great either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2